Over *29 Million Clicks* and Counting! Thank *YOU* for being *ONE* of them!

[ HOME ] [ NEW MOVIE TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ MOVIE REVIEWS ] [ TV MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ CHRISTMAS STORY ] [ CHRISTMAS MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS MOVIES ON DVD - 2023 ] [ TV MOVIES ON DVD - 2024 ] [ CONTACT ]

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights...”
~ James 1:17

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Freeform Announces Holiday Movies


Freeform (formerly known as ABC Family) sent out this press release (below) regarding their slate of programming for this upcoming and future Holiday Seasons. One of the new movies mentioned below, more than raised my eyebrow, once or twice, so I wanted to share it with you all and caution you, before viewing...






Freeform Press Release:

EXPANDING ON THE NETWORK'S
"25 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS" CONTENT SLATE,
FREEFORM ANNOUNCES
NEW ORIGINAL MOVIES
AND HOLIDAY SPECIAL

HOLIDAY SPECIAL - "DECORATING DISNEY" - Premiering December 2017

"Decorating Disney" will reveal how holiday magic is created at Disney Parks by giving viewers an inside look into how the holidays come to life at the happiest and most magical place on earth. Freeform is giving audiences an exclusive global tour as Disney transforms all 12 Disney theme parks, four cruise ships and resorts into a winter wonderland - literally overnight. Viewers will meet the dedicated team of Disney cast members and Santa's real-life elves who, with a spoon full of sugar and a little pixie dust, will plan, design, and build life-size gingerbread houses and gorgeous Christmas trees so tall, it takes a crane to install them.

ORIGINAL MOVIE - "ANGRY ANGEL" (WORKING TITLE) - Premiering December 2017

From director/producer Will Gluck of "Easy A" and "Annie" comes "Angry Angel" (working title), the story of a young woman who tries to get back to heaven after she seriously messes up. During this quest, she bumps into the love of her life and suddenly heaven doesn't seem so great after all. Think "It's a Wonderful Life" for the Snapchat generation. Produced by Olive Bridge Entertainment in association with Sony Pictures Television, Will Gluck and Richard Schwartz will serve as executive producers. "Angry Angel" (working title) is an all-new scripted two-hour movie, premiering in December 2017.

ORIGINAL MOVIE - "LIFE-SIZE 2" STARRING TYRA BANKS - Premiering December 2018

Tyra Banks will reprise her iconic role as a doll that comes to life in the sequel to the beloved Disney movie "Life-Size"; but in the sequel, everyone's favorite doll Eve has grown up. This time, she's magically awoken to help a young woman learn to live and love again, and along the way, Eve herself will experience the ups and downs of real life in a fun, edgy, modern Christmas movie. Tyra Banks will also serve as executive producer.



My Take:

As I read and re-read the description above for "Angry Angel," it sounds like to me, Hollywood is attempting, once again, to skew our religious beliefs. One does not "mess up" and leave heaven. We are saved by God's grace.

This would not be the first time that Freeform/ABC Family's so called Holiday programming was less than family-friendly or respectful of religious beliefs, or the Christmas holiday. ("Christmas Cupid" is a prime example)

I personally found the title of the movie, "Angry Angel," to be extremely offensive. To portray an Angel as Angry over frivolous matters - is quite demeaning. Since this is the working title, it may change before it airs on TV, this Christmas, but I still want to caution you all - I have a strong feeling that this movie may not be in the same sweet-nature as Clarence, in "It's a Wonderful Life."

Please share your thoughts in comments below...

26 comments:

  1. I agree with you concerning Freeform & 25 Days. Long ago, I stopped watching this channel as it began its steady decline from family friendly programming. 25 Days of Christmas has had less & less true Christmas programming, & the little that was offered in the way of TV Christmas classics i.e., The Little Drummer Boy was scheduled in less than optimal family viewing times (7:00 am or midnight). πŸ˜’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The only time I usually venture back to this station is at Christmastime during their 25 days of Christmas stunt - mostly to watch an old Christmas classic, but like you, I've noticed their station plays less and less of the good stuff, and if they do, it's placed at odd viewing hours.

      Appreciate your comment! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hello Net, Wow you hit the nail on that one. As soon as I read the title I was offended and I was thinking the same exact thing. An Angel of God does not leave Heaven and worry about silly things on earth for once you seek heaven you are not of the earth. I am not happy with Freeform since they took over ABC family. It is everything but family friendly. Especially while you are watching some of the Christmas movies you have to tell our children to look away from the their commercials for the tv programs that they run on their station. Love your Blog!! your Friend #Christmas all year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freeform is the same programming ABC Family has been showing for years just under a different name. There's been no significant program changes. ABC Family has been targeted towards teens for years

      Delete
    2. So true, Anonymous #1 - you can be watching a Christmas movie on Freeform you know and love and then, bam, you're hit with a commercial that is filled with all sorts of immorality. Thank you for your supportive, comment. It's such a blessing in this world we live in - to know I'm not alone!

      Anonymous #2 - you are right, too. Freeform, ABC Family, or whatever you call it - has been targeting the youth with programs like "Pretty Little Liars" for years. It's quite a shame.

      I just wanted to be certain to warn my faithful readers of this movie and it's content.

      Delete
  3. I don't watch any of their Christmas movies on their channel. I own the few that I do like such as Elf or The Santa Clause trilogy so there is no reason to turn it on. I agree with you on the Angry Angel title as well. Plus, with all the movies on Hallmark channels, that's a lot to keep up with already. :) I missed some back in December that I am making a point to see in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky, for your comment!

      You are so right - Hallmark already gives us So Many Wonderful Christmas movies! Love that you waited to watch some of them in July! That will be so fun for you, then!!!

      Delete
  4. I shouldn't be surprised because it seems like Christian beliefs are coming under constant attack any more. I will not be watching Angry Angel no matter what they might end up calling it. This type of thing is very misleading to non-Christians who don't know the truth. Where can we write to protest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Protest? Is that really even necessary? Not every TV viewer shares the same beliefs. Not to sound rude or anything but if it bothers you so much don't watch it or turn the channel on. It's that simple. Truth be told, a protest will do nothing but give this movie hype and make people want to watch because that is all protests do today - intrigue people.

      Delete
    2. Susan - Des MoineMonday, April 24, 2017

      While I agree that the knee-jerk reaction to protest every little thing can get a bit ridiculous at times, I think that some good can come from people sending a well-written and articulate email to Freeform to let them know that this movie is quite offensive to a large portion of their viewing audience. If you just sit back and say nothing, than nothing is exactly what will get done.

      Delete
    3. I think it's very important that we let our voice be heard. It effects our world in big and small ways.

      Susan para-phrased this quote and I totally agree... "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (said by Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

      Blessings to you all, Net

      Delete
  5. Interesting plots, I'm not going to be too judgmental on them because what is written on paper or in this situation the computer can be very different than on screen.

    I'm actually quite surprised Freeform is going to be doing TV movies. I never thought they would considering their latest movie 'Holiday Joy' with Bailee Madison was pretty much non-existent last year and hardly promoted and aired during such an odd time at 3/4pm in the middle of the day. Hopefully they get back to doing movies more frequently. I used to watch this channel and their original movies all the time, they have such classics like Holiday In Handcuffs, Christmas Caper, Au Pair (trilogy), so I hope they start doing more movies again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Tay. I sincerely hope the actual content of the movie isn't as bad as the plot description released by Freeform, but at this time that is all we have to go by. From my perspective, it sounds disrespectful to my own personal held beliefs, and I felt compelled to share this concern with my readers.

      Like you, I used to watch ABC Family's Original movies - back when they created the "Au Pair" movies, plus "Pizza My Heart," "She's the One," "Just A Walk in the Park," and more... If they created movies, again, like this, I would watch, too. But.... that isn't likely to happen.

      Delete
  6. I totally agree with all of the above comments. Not only is the title offensive, but the descriptive line that says "heaven doesn't seem so great after all"! What could be greater than being with our Lord in heaven?? A definite no-watch for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That line really got me, too, Mark. Cut deep. It doesn't sound a thing like It's A Wonderful Life. Clarence was sweet, innocent, angelic. He didn't want to leave heaven. He didn't display a sinful nature. Simply, he wanted to earn his wings and return to heaven. I totally agree- it's also a no-watch for me!

      Thank you so much for sharing, Mark! Blessings to you!!!

      Delete
  7. I used to love ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas. As Tay mentioned, their movies like Holiday in Handcuffs and Three Days were my favorite. Aside from those movies, they always aired the old favorites like The Little Drummer Boy, The First Christmas: The Story of the First Christmas Snow, Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey, etc. Now you can't see these unless it's in the wee morning hours, when most of us are sleeping and trying to rest up for work. I'm glad they still show a few classics like The Year Without a Santa Claus and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, but I wish they would dig back into their vault and obtain the rights to show some of the old favorites that most of us grew up with. Doesn't sound like I'll be watching the Angry Angel movie, but I really hope that they have some nice surprises when they release their countdown schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad we are seeing less and less of the dear, beloved classics. I wish another channel would get the rights and play these more often, at more appropriate viewing times so even more viewers can see them. Like you mentioned, some are played at such odd times - early in the morning, etc...

      I like all the Christmas cartoons you mentioned, plus I would love to see the movies "The Christmas List" and "Christmas Everyday" played again! Usually, however, those two are left off the list.

      Delete
  8. Net, I am in total agreement over this ridiculously titled movie "Angry Angel." To add insult to injury they are even comparing it to It's. Wonderful Life! Nothing can be compared to that classic, especially something entitled Angry Angel and shown on Freeform. No wonder no one watches network TV anymore (except Hallmark Channel!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara, for sharing your thoughts. I was flabbergasted when I read the description and each time I reread it. Such blatant disregard for the Christian faith. I agree with you, it doesn't sound a thing like "It's a Wonderful Life!"

      Delete
  9. Net, 'Tis where ABC weaves their programing to suit "Freeform's" needs. The name "Freeform" says it all, anything goes! I gave up this channel when they gave up "Family". Hallmark and HMM are where my heart has found a home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said, Linda! You are so right, ABC removed Family, when they switched to Freeform. The 25 days of Christmas themed event was only kept, in my opinion, in their attempt to keep their fan base happy, but each day of the 25 days of Christmas seems to have less and less Christmas content every year, especially family friendly.

      Thankfully we have Hallmark and HMM! Plus INSP and UP!

      Blessings to you, Linda, and thank you for sharing your take on all of this!

      Delete
  10. They use to have the best movies. Santa Baby Snow Desperately seeking Santa and my favorite 12 dates of Christmas just to name a few. Then went to none or horrible ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the older movies were the better ones. I always loved "The Christmas List" best of all... AKA: "The Perfume Lady!" Every year, it never fails, it is always asked about and it seems every year it gets maybe one oddly timed showing, if they even bother to show it at all.

      Delete
  11. i only watch a couple things on their channel anymore and their xmas selection stinks. They don't even air their own xmas movies that they had orginally made. The one w/tyra banks sounds cute. BUT NOT FOR XMAS TIME!! gosh when will they get it. That and harry potter or the hunger games. yuck. Sorry fast typing sorry about the no caps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate you sharing, Stephanie. Unfortunately, nothing is the same anymore.

      Apparently and sadly, there are plenty of viewers who enjoy what they are offering.

      Delete
  12. While I don't have a problem with such movies existing, I never really like "angel" stuff since they are almost always humanized. (It's a Wonderful Life" is basically the sole exception as my favorite movie of all time) The description makes me roll my eyes so much,though. Decorating Disney might be fun, though!

    ReplyDelete

Please COMMENT and share your thoughts on Movies and More...

You may comment by using an Account, Name, or by choosing Anonymous! (If you pick Name, you can add your name, nickname, initials, or favorite handle! You can also leave the URL space blank, if you do not have a web-site.)

Whatever you choose, I enjoy hearing from you! Blessings, Net